Friday, March 23, 2012

Epic Bike and Camping Trip

Last Friday/Saturday I did an awesome biking and camping trip from Yokohama Bay around Ka'ena Point, up to Peacock Flats, camped out up there at an epic overlook, came down the Kealia Trail, and went back around Kaena Point.  About 30 miles total.  What an epically awesome trip! 

It was initially scary for me because the gears on the bike I used were funky.  I crashed kinda bad from a dysfunctional shift, coming around Kaena point and banged up my ankle which intensely sucked, as it already didn't feel good.  That really did not help with the confidence level. :(  But I taped it and life got better.   And I figured out how not to get the gears stuck, which also made life better.

One of the reasons I was so stoked about this trip was because it passes by my favorite parts of the island: upper Waianae coast and the north shore.  Chee huu to the north shore: the motherland!!  Here is Jason, my ninja partner in crime.  He is a much better rider than I am, so poor Jas had to deal with my kooky gooberness the whole way up and down.  Lol.  Thanks for your patience Jas, you rock. :)
Jason, fixing flat #2
Going up Peacock Flats was uber gnar gnar.  In fact, I walked almost all the way up.  Jas rode most of the way up.  Hes nuts. We found an epic spot to camp.  There was even a rainbow!  Vertical rainbows are extra special.
North Shore, the most beautiful side of Oahu
sweet camping spot, no?

The weather was quite cooperative.  It only sprinkled a little bit on and off, and the night was quite mellow, weather wise.  I miss living on the north shore.  The night sky is so incredible up there.  All the stars and constellations.  Wish I had an iPad with that astronomy app on it that tells you what all the constellations are.  Lol.
yay for fire!
The weather the next day was absolutely incredible.  Yay for dry trails!!  There were a lot of people up there, jogging and hiking.  Yay for active people!
packing up in the morning
The ride from the campsite to the Kealia Trail was really cool.  At one point you could see both coasts.  At the top of the Kealia Trail, there were a bunch of people hanging out.  I was wondering why everyone was green.  I completely forgot it was St.Patty's Day!  Haha, I'm stoked I had a good reason *not* to get hammered.
going down the Kealia Trail

getting some water at dillingham airfield, before going back around Ka'ena Point
my stuffz!
Somehow I managed to lose my sunglasses before I even started this ride.  DOH!  Gear opinions: Thermarest Ridgerest pad is epic!!  My Golite Jam pack is too big. :(  I have since ordered  the ULA circuit pack, I hope it works out, as I am running out of time.

Coming around Ka'ena point, the whales were going nuts out there.  It was incredibly distracting to focus on not riding off the cliff and trying to watch the whales at the same time.  Whee!  Damn I really wish I took more pictures.  So stoked to be living in the most beautiful place in the world! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment