Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Day 133: land of Xmas trees

Wednesday 8/29/12
Miles 1750-1770 (20 miles)
Elevation 5,357'

For some reason I was reeeeally tired. We didn't get moving today til 11am. Oops. I blame the epic bathroom! Lol! I was in there again this morning, with my hands under the dryer. And my legs too. Aaaaaah it was warm. Lol!

Anyhow, we only did 20 miles today. My feet were tired. Plus there's this awesome hut right off trail with a well to get water. How cool is that? So that's where we ended up camping. It's funny, the pump on the well is super squeaky so when you get water, everyone within a 1/2 mile radius can hear. Lol.

By the way, holy crap it's cold at night and in the mornings!! Oh my god, its this cold now and it's only late August!! I'm going to be so freaking cold going through Washington. Oh man, Washington is going to absolutely suck. Bleh. :(

Oh, NorCal and Oregon thus far is like the land of Christmas trees. The trees are either super tall and skinny or Christmas-tree type trees. Oh, and the bugs are really interesting looking too. Even the flies are a lot more diverse looking. Meaning, there's a lot more different types of them, as opposed to just the typical black ones. And there are lots of bees. Lots. Along the entire trail actually. So if any of you plan on hiking the PCT and are allergic to bees, make sure you bring an epi pen or something. You'll probably get stung at least once on trail. Even the bees are different looking. There are various types of the yellow/black striped ones, and then there are these big fuzzy black ones with one yellow stripe around them.

You know, one of my favorite things about town stops is that it gives all my bug bites a chance to heal. Lol! The mosquitos have been mellow lately so that's good. Its mainly spiders, ants, and flies. Every time I camp without using a tent, I pretty much get eaten alive by bugs. Kyle doesn't get it as bad. Lucky him. Honestly that's the only reason we've been using a tent up til now. Because if I don't, I wake up with 20-40 new bug bites, and that really sucks.

Like, when we were in Seiad Valley we stealth camped under a bridge in town (and by "town" I mean a post office, cafe, and convenience store all in one building). It was really cool because in the middle of the night a colony of bats came out. The unfortunate aspect of that was it was raining bat poop on us all night. Which I didn't so much mind, I really like bats, actually. They're one of my favorite animals. But I woke up with tons of spider bites all over me. That place was just crawling with spiders. I got tons on my arms, shoulders, face, and some on my legs. The thing that sucks about spider bites is that they swell up a lot and the whole area gets tender. So when you get a lot in the same place, it just sucks even more. Lol. But staying in Ashland, all my bug bites were able to heal yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment