Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 149: oh the lovely randomness of the trail :)

Friday 9/14/12
Miles 2042-2053 (11 miles)

Oh my god, our campsite is beautiful! We didn't get here til way after dark last night so I have no idea what we were camped around. In the morning we were surrounded by patches of snow and ice with a dramatic view of Mt.Jefferson which was right next to us. It was soooooo epic!! And as a result we didn't leave camp til 10:30am. Doh!! Dang, these late morning starts are kinda gnarly. Ugh, so hard to leave epic spots in the morning though.

Oh! Super random, we saw backpackers walking by us this morning with skis on their packs. Wtf?! I wonder where they were headed, because I didn't see anywhere skiable along the PCT.

Today was very busy on the trail. Saw lots and lots of other non-thru hikers. It's the start of the weekend I suppose. I saw lots of puppies with backpacks! Lol! Yay for hiking puppies!! Met an ultra runner too. That guy was really cool. He's from Portland and is training for a big run in October. He says he hasn't done a race shorter than 30 miles in 6 years or something. These people are NUTS!! Lol!!

The trail passed over a bunch of snow patches today. I got a video of Kyle sliding down one. I tried to make a toboggan out of my pack and rain cover but it didn't work. The hill wasn't steep enough. Maybe I should have just put my rain pants on and slid down on my butt. Lol. Or I think it would have worked if I got a running start. I was thinking of trying to use my sleeping pad as a surfboard, but the ridges on the pad were going the wrong way. Ah well. We screwed around in the snow for a bit, so I wasn't able to make 11 miles til about 4pm. Eeek!

The Ollalie Lake Resort was where we took a break at. It's cool, they rent cabins and yurts. The lady that worked there, Sam is so cool. She knew more about the other PCT hikers than I did! Lol. She has a lot of fun meeting them all as they come through during the summer, since the lake is right on the trail.

So, Kyle and I decided to hitch 50 miles ahead to Timberline Lodge. Reason being, 1)we're running behind and 2)we've decided we don't like hiking more than 23 miles a day. We've figured out that 23 miles a day is ideal for making miles yet still seeing the views. Because honestly, if you do more than 25 miles a day all you see is trail. And that's just not fun. In my opinion there's no point in hiking if all you're doing is looking at dirt. Lol.

So, this way we don't get too far behind and we can still enjoy being where we are at. Amongst trees. And beautiful scenery. Sam says she's driving to Timberline Lodge tomorrow anyways so she could easily give us a ride. STOKED!! We lounged the rest of the day at the Olallie Lake store, talking to Sam and the owner. They both have epically cute puppies!!! Sam has a white lab and boss lady has a German shepherd. Dogs are so awesome.

The view from the porch is amazing!!! You see the lake, Mt.Jefferson, and the reflection of Mt.Jefferson in the lake. It looks just like the picture on the Mountain House meal packaging! Lol! Seriously!! I took a pic of it. Bummer I didn't have time in Bend to get to a computer. I'll go upload pics when I get to Cascade Locks. Epic, epic photos. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment