Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 142: sooo tired..., and Gorgefest 2012!

Friday 9/7/12
Miles: 1912-1932 (22 miles, including the road walk out of Shelter Cove)
Elevation 5,700'

Oh man, I'm sooooo tired today. I think it's my body recovering from whatever I had last week. Hee Haw was super tired today too. Not sure why 22 miles felt so hard for me, the elevation was not particularly difficult. But yeah, the last 4 miles going into our campsite, Hee Haw and I were both dying. Bleh.

So, Jeff decided tonight was going to be Gorgefest 2012, in which we eat as much of our food as possible. Lol! So the whole crew that was at shelter cove participated. Jeff and Kyle got to the campsite first. It was at Charlton Lake. Oh man, it was soooooooo nice! Definitely prime camping real estate. It's really interesting to watch how other hikers organize their food. Jeff is very methodical about his process, and has everything organized into bags. Whereas Kyle just stuffs everything into one giant bag. Lol! Hee haw's dinner looked absolutely amazing. He had cheese ravioli and packed out 3 different types of cheeses with him and made some kind of cream sauce. YUM!! Oh yeah, cheese is another thing I crave. But that's something I crave all the time in the default world too. Lol!

I wasn't actually able to completely gorge on my food. I just ate one mountain house meal (one of those 2 portion ones), and that made me full. It was the New Orleans style jambalaya-type one. Man, it was good!! :D I think Kyle ate a mountain house meal an some beef stroganoff and whatever else he was eating before I got there. I'm stoked Kyle is eating more. It's hard for people with a high metabolism to not lose massive amounts of weight on trail. He's doing better. Seeing I'm Fine's resupply back in Etna inspired Kyle, I think. I'm Fine carried a ridiculous amount of food with him. And good stuff too. I think he carried about 5 lbs of just cheese alone, not counting all his other food. Lol! He's the only person I know on trail who has *gained* weight, rather than lost weight. Actually, Trip did too. Well, Trip initially lost about 50 lbs, but he gained about 8 lbs back by dipping all his food in a tub of melted butter he carried on trail with him. That just sounds absolutely disgusting to me. Lol!

Oh! I almost forgot, the most awesome part of today! Typo's mom came to visit him from New Zealand and has been backpacking with him the last few days. They've just been doing 10 mile days (which is a good amount, for just starting out). Today, Typo and his mom did 22 miles, so they could participate in Gorgefest 2012! Way to go Typo's mom!! She has now earned the trail name Super Mom. Lol! :). Anyhow, I have a pic of them. I'll post it when I get all my other photos up.

No comments:

Post a Comment