Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 148: holy slow going Batman! :(

Thursday 9/13/12
Miles 2022-2042 (20 miles)

So, the problem with a really epic camp spot, is that it's really hard to leave. Lol! Oh man, it's so pretty. I got pics of Kyle lounging in the chair next to the lake and tent. By the way, I don't know if I mentioned before but I got the Alite Monarch chair that I was raving about a while ago! It's awesome because Kyle is actually carrying it. Lol! Seriously though, he has a lot more time to use it than I, since he hikes so much faster, so it's fair. :)

We didn't get moving til about 10am today. Oops. Today's hiking was really freaking cool. We were along the south side of Mt.Jefferson all day. There was a lot of glacial melt so lots of water yay! The views are pretty incredible. But we went through more burn areas. Bleh. Today's hiking was tough. Lotta rocks and steep ascents. Reminded me of the high sierras! Very similar terrain. And patches of snow and ice everywhere. Except there are a lot more trees here than in the sierras. In the sierras we were above the treeline most of the time so it was just rocks and more rocks.

The last part of the day was tough. We had a really steep ascent, and it was dark. I didn't make 20 miles til after sundown. Bleh. Dang today was slow going! I suppose starting at 10:00 didn't help either. I forgot to replace the batteries in my headlamp. So light wasn't ideal. It was really slow going. We were just going up and up and it was around 9pm and I said to Kyle, hey look there's a flat spot, let's camp! Kyle didn't argue. Lol.

I'm not really sure what I was walking through that last hour, because it was really dark. All I know it was an exposed ridge because it was really cold and there were no trees. Trees are warm!! I love trees :). There's a running creek right next to us, I hear water. Yay! I like camping next to a water source.

No comments:

Post a Comment