Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 101: cool views!

Saturday 7/28/12
Miles 1200-1220 (20 miles)
Elevation 6,500'

Dang. Today was pretty rad. The area we are in right now is called Sierra Buttes. And the mountains are just that. They're not pointy and jagged like they were in the high sierras, they are more rolly and flat now. This area is super popular amongst locals. It's Saturday today and there are tons of people everywhere. There is a whole network of jeep roads that run all over the mountains here and so there are 4wd vehicles, dirtbikes, quads, and stuff everywhere. I've noticed that a really popular thing out here are those Rhino vehicles. Or whatever you call them. They look like beefed up offroad gas powered golf carts. There are TONS of those everywhere. People just strap camping gear to those and run around all over the jeep roads. That's so cool!

Oh!! This place is also hugely popular for mountain biking too! The trail came out at some parking lot and there were about 50 people with bikes milling about. DROOL!! Oh my gosh I wanna ride!! One of the guys said there was a mtb race next week so people were practicing. Cool!! I tried to get one of the bikers to trade with me. Lol. I told them I'll take their bike and they can take my pack and I'll meet them in Belden. No takers. Damn. Lol!! :)

By the way, if anyone out there is affiliated with a bicycle company, Kyle and I are looking for gear sponsors; we want to ride the Continental Divide. Or at least the USA part of it. It's a cross country trail like the PCT that goes from Mexico to Canada, but over the rocky
Mountains. I think the northern terminus is Banff in Alberta. Anyhow, if anyone wants to sponsor us, I will advertise your gear like no other. Plus, I'm good at blogging :D. So people all over the world will be exposed. Seriously. Someone please sponsor us, you won't be disappointed, I promise.

We've been hearing gunshots all day. And vehicles too. Its funny how un-remote this trail is, at least the whole portion I've done so far. I mean, before I started, I thought I would be alone by myself in the middle of nowhere. And a lot of times you kinda feel like you are, but you're not really that far away from civilization. Which is both good and bad. Good, because you can resupply often and not have to carry a ton of food, bad because there are just tons of people everywhere. Seriously, I thought I wouldn't see people on trail other than maybe other pct hikers. But there are SO MANY PEOPLE! Lol. And you constantly hear planes going overhead. Even in the high sierras. That's one of the reasons I really want to do the continental divide. People say its a lot more remote and you don't see ANYONE. So youre pretty much on your own. Super cool :D

It's so awesome, just overall, the change of foliage as I progress north. The trees and plants look so different now from just 100 miles go. And yet some plants are still the same from when I was in the desert! Lol. It's so cool too, the change in foliage as we go up and down in elevation. I wish I had some plant knowledge, it would be cool to know what I was seeing. Lol. I suppose I could always carry a plant guidebook. But that's too heavy.

The views today were so cool. We're not really that high up (we're around 6,500-7,500' elevation), but the valleys are deep, so it feels like we are a lot higher than we really are. It's cool. Feels like I'm on top of the world. I like that feeling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment