Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 91: leaving South Lake Tahoe...kinda

Wednesday 7/18/12
Miles 0

Ok today was an interesting day. Lol. The most random things always happen to us when we try and leave town. :)

There's an outfitter toward the Nevada side of town, we went there because Kyle wanted to get those 5 finger shoes. Yay! I'm stoked. Lol. I've been raving about them for the last several hundred miles. I've been wearing regular shoes since mile 700 at Kennedy meadows, and have been counting down the days til I can get rid of my bear can and go back to the 5 finger shoes! :). That's the main reason I really wanted to go to REI, actually. I needed to replace my old 5 finger shoes because they have holes in them and sand and dirt and pebbles get in which kinda sucks.

By the outfitter, there was an art gallery that was displaying the artwork of Dr.seuss. Naturally, I had to go in. It was awesome! At the entrance there was a metal sculpture of people that were wrapped around wine bottles. Most epic wine holder ever!! Lol :)

We bussed it to the other side of town where there was a front load washer in a laundromat as well as a grocery store. Kyle had to get food for his mail drops for the next 600 miles. At the laundromat I was hungry so I was cooking water in my alcohol stove and made mac n cheese outside the front door of the laundromat. Haha! :)

So in an epic turn of events, we were able to get a ride to the Reno REI and back from my resupply person's relative who lived in Carson city. THANK YOU LINDA!!!! I took a pic of her, she's do awesome! And she's from Oahu too!! :D. What an epic awesome lady!!! So, this all went down at about 5pm, so Kyle never got his resupply done, and I was halfway done with drying the sleeping bags. But oh man, we were sooooooo stoked to get to go to REI!

I replaced my 5 finger shoes YAAAAAYYYY!!! :D. I also replaced my broken gorilla pod (yay I can take self portraits again! Lol) and I swapped out my solar charger for a battery pack (it weighs less and holds more charge). Kyle returned his old broken hiking poles, and got some toe socks and a bunch of food bars.

Linda drove us through downtown Carson city on the way back. It was really cute, that little stretch of the downtown area where all the state government buildings are. Carson city seems a lot..."cleaner" than many of the Nevada towns I've been to. Lol.

Linda took us all the way back to south lake Tahoe. THANK YOU!!! Oh my gosh that was amazing. It is about an hour drive from Tahoe to Reno. And that doesn't include the 30 mins it took for her to go from Carson city (where she lives) to get us at Tahoe. Wow. That was just so absolutely amazing and unexpected!! <3

So yeah. I guess we're staying in Tahoe for another day since we still have to mail stuff out and the POs are closed.

Aaaah, the epic and random things that happen to us as we attempt to leave town. Lol.

Oh. There is an awesome Trappist style beer that Russian River brewing company makes, called Damnation and Redemption. They are both really, really yummy. :D

1 comment:

  1. YAY LINDA!!!! :D
    I have relative EVERYwhere!!!
    CJ

    ReplyDelete