Sunday, July 01, 2012

Day 74: Mammoth --> reds meadow

Sunday 7/1/12
Miles 0
Elevation

The town of Mammoth is pretty cool. I can definitely appreciate any town that has 1)a free bus system, and 2)more. bike paths/trails than sidewalks. :) however, this town is way to yuppie for me. Lol. It kind of screams of money. Bleh. On the flip side, if this town *didnt* have so much money there probably wouldn't be a free bus system. So ultimately, I'm grateful :). My opinion would differ greatly if I had a bike tho. Cuz then id be spending more time on the trails than in town. Lol. I'm super stoked we stopped by though, I've Always wondered what Mammoth was like. Now I know.

I didn't take too many pics. Theres one of Kyle and a taxidermy bear that was in the Village. The pic of the man and woman is Fish and Biscuit. They are a cool section hiker couple on the PCT from England. They are much more proper englishfolk than Faceplant. Haha! Dang, speaking of which, we *just* missed him and Gecko. They left mammoth when we came in. Bummer!

I took a pic of the Climb Aloha sticker on the window of Mammoth Mountaineering Supply which is the local outfitter. Cool shop. They didn't have a sticker to trade tho. Oh well, stoked they let me put mine on the window. Www.climbaloha.com is the local climbing shop/school/info of Hawaii. A very cool bunch of folk over at Climb Aloha. :). They gave me stickers and I've been trading stickers with cool people and other outdoor shops along the whole trail.

When we got back to reds meadow there was a pair of SoCal trail Angels there that invited us to sleep in their cabin! COOL! I took a pic. They are known as Team Turtle ("Mexico to Canada in 30 years or bust"). Such an awesome couple. There was also another hiker that stayed in the cabin too. His name is Kindergarden Cop. Lol. He is so cool. He is a horse trainer and retired LAPD officer and currently works with special ed kids. I took a pic of him.

The cabin is so cute. I took a pic of it. It's an a-frame wood cabin with a loft for a 2nd floor, which is where we slept. It was cool! I felt like I needed a tin-can-on-a-string phone and a Zipline. Lol.

Lonely Turtle (the husband), had some maps of Yosemite and a trail guidebook. Stoked!! I *LOVE* maps, I have since I was a little kid. And I love nerding out on maps, geography, logistical information, and stuff like that. When we get to Yosemite, Kyle and I want to do clouds rest and half dome, so I figured out and mapped a 21 mile one way route that will get us to both, and finish in Yosemite valley so that we can either hitchike or take a bus from Yosemite valley back to tuolumne meadows and get back on the pct from there. Stoked!! Can't wait!! :D

3 comments:

  1. I hate to be the one to tell you but you can't do Half Dome without a permit and you certainly can't get one at this late date. =/ But I love reading your journal and Kindergarden Cop is also in Bacon Bit's journal. I feel like he's an old friend.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically Mmmoth Lakes is bankrupt - i gues they won't have a free bus system for long, Lol
    Keep up the great blog.
    jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was not very nice laughing at someone's accent LoL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete