Friday, July 06, 2012

Day 75: Yosemite or bust!

Monday 7/2/12
Miles 907-920 (13 miles)
Elevation 9,300'

We didn't leave reds meadow today til about 1pm. Lol. Ugh. Despite that, we still got 13 miles in yay!

Gosh there were a lot of people on trail today. Lots of JMT hikers and day hikers. The trail went by Devils Postpile and Agnew Meadows which are hugely popular for day hikes.

I ran into Xana and Panorama. They are a couple who I met around 450 miles ago. They are using the same hiking poles as Kyle and I. Black Diamond Ultra-distance z-poles for the win!! :D. Xana is also hiking in a skirt, team breezy yeah! Lol :). I took a pic of us.

So I heard there's a trail crew on horseback with chainsaws, who are largely responsible for the clearing of the blowdowns. Wow. If I see those people I might just kiss their feet. I took pics of the blowdown areas. It is absolute carnage out here. The trail crews did such an incredible job clearing the trail, holy crap!! Hats off to you guys, for reals!

So, early on in the day Kyle jokingly suggested doing a 34 mile day all the way to Tuolumne Meadows. I thought it was an awesome idea. Cool! We would get there tomorrow morning sometime and therefore be there before the 4th of July. Of course this would mean I would be hiking all night and not sleep. Ah well it's ok, wouldn't have been the first time.

Around 8pm I found Kyle on the trail. He was laying down on his sleeping pad on the side of the trail. I took a pic. It was also getting cold. That pretty much ended all thoughts of doing a 34 mile day into the night. Haha. What can I say, my aversion to being cold and Kyle's affinity for resting in a horizontal position dictates how far we go each day. Plus, there were epic flat areas right around where kyle was laying, with epic views. So, despite only doing 13 miles we decided to make camp. I took a pic of the campsite. Not sure if you can see but there are waterfalls on the other side of the canyon. :)

Ah well we'll just bust a big mile day tomorrow. It's mostly downhill anyways. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment