Friday, July 06, 2012

Day 76: 3 mountain passes...are we there yet?

Tuesday 7/3/12
Miles 920-942.5 (22.5 miles)
Elevation 8,678'

Sorry I didn't take many pics today, it was not a fun day. It started out pretty good. We only had about 8 miles of uphill and then it was all downhill from there. We did have to go over 3 mountain passes though, in those 8 miles. It was a pretty scenic day, but geez there were a lot of day hikers and people on the trail.

The 3rd pass we went over was Donahue pass, and it was all downhill from there, and the last 12 or so miles was pretty flat. I figured it would be an easy day, for some reason it wasn't though. Entering into Tuolumne meadows was pretty cool. I took a picture of the river, it wound back and forth across the meadow like a snake. It was so cool and symmetrical-like. There were also a lot of deer there too. And people. Tons. I could tell when I was starting to get into Yosemite, there was just a crapload of backpackers. Geez. Lol.

Around 5:30 I got really tired. Ugh. I didn't really stop much today to take a break, and my feet get really tired if I don't take a decent break after walking 10-13 miles. At this point I think I was around 16 miles. I ate some of my gummy energy chews and got my 2nd wind. Around 7:30 I got really tired again. Bleh. Not sure where Kyle was either, I haven't seen him since 10:30am this morning. I ate some more gummy energy chews and got my 3rd wind. I was also about 3 miles out from the general store so I was stoked. I figured that's where I'll look for Kyle.

There were a lot of trail junctions as the pct neared the hwy 120 intersection. The last sign I saw from Kyle was a directional note he left me around 2 miles ago. I also lost his footprints; there were so many footprints everywhere I couldn't track him. It was around 8:30 then. No sign of Kyle. I wandered around the general store and the area. No idea where he is. Arg. I'm pretty pissed off at this point. Not because I couldn't find Kyle, but moreso because it was dark now, and cold, and I'm still walking. WTF. >:(

Anyhow, I wander into the backpackers camp at Tuolumne Meadows, there were tons of people there, I was hoping I'd find Kyle there, I figured it was a logical place to go. But it was dark and I couldnt see crap. Dangit. >:( I just threw my sleeping bag down and cowboy camped. Bleh. I'll look for Kyle in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment