Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 122: etna or bust!

Saturday 8/18/12
Miles 1784-1606 (22 miles)
Elevation 6,000'

I pretty much ran the last 2 miles to the road intersection to hitch into Etna. Lol! But as a result I did 22 miles by about 7:15pm! Whoo hoo!! :D. The scenery today was quite spectacular. Etna is in a valley, and we were pretty much on the spine of the ridge of the mountains next to that valley. I felt like I was on top of the world :)

Oh! So those 3 guys that were camping at the same campsite we were at last night, they are so cool! In the morning as I was packing up to head out, I overheard parts of the conversation they were having. They were discussing some kind of metaphysical teachings and one of the guys was reading a passage, off his iPad. Lol! Then at some point the conversation shifted to art history and they were discussing the works of Rembrant and Michaelangelo. Gosh, I wish I had time to sit there all day and listen to them! Lol :)

When we got to the trailhead, we lucked out and there were some day hikers headed back to Etna, they gave us a ride! Thanks!!! Not only that, but we ended up camping on their front yard and they fed us dinner too!! Thanks awesome trail angel!!! It was Sean and his daughter Trinity. They turned out to be an absolutely fascinating family. Sean was a former competitive cyclist, both on and offroad, he's also a carpenter and timber worker by trade, and likes to grow his own food. Trinity is about to enter her sophomore year in high school. We stayed up til about 12:30am talking with them, they are incredible people. <3. They also introduced us to a board game called Peg Poker. It's like a combination of Yahtzee, Poker, and tic tac toe. It was super fun!! I haven't played a board game in sooooo long! I really like board games :)

Gosh what an amazing day of epic randomness. Lol. That's possibly one of my favorite things about this trail, the epic randomness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment